Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is a literacy program that encourages learners to enjoy reading, book discussions, and analyses. 4th and 5th graders are invited to participate in our club and try out for our competitive teams. Our season ends in a competition against 4th and 5th graders from many local schools and is hosted by St. Margaret’s Episcopal School. The questions for the tournament are details from one of the 20-book reading list. The answers consist of both the correct title and the correct author. At this time it is unknown whether the competition will be live or virtual.
2022-2023 Key Information coming soon.
2021-2022 Key Information:
- Two teams of 6 are guaranteed to compete. Students are chosen based on the following:
- Participation in meetings
- Quality of weekly reading logs
- Scores on weekly quizzes
- Effort, team work, and dedication
- Study material for 7 months on 20 books
- Access to Quizlets
- Program t-shirt (to be worn with jeans or uniforms on Wednesdays)
- Donuts and treats on Wednesday mornings.
- Tournament and registration fees
- End-of-the-year lunch celebration
- A surprise or two along the way
- **This cost does not include the books. The library has several copies of each book that you may borrow, you may find them at the public library, or you may purchase them at the location of your choice.
- The reading schedule is tight. Students are expected to come each week with the assigned book(s) and reading log(s) finished, as well as be prepared to take a quiz on the assigned book. Summer reading of three or four of the listed books is highly recommended.
- Students and parents are encouraged to read or listen to all 20 books together. While we would love to discuss books at length, we cannot. The competition is based on recall, and that is our focus at meetings.
- NEW FOR 2021-2022: Parents must commit to reading one book from our list and writing 50-100 "In Which Book" questions and 50-100 title/author questions. Please email [email protected] for template.
- Maximum of 36 students will be accepted.
If you have questions, please email Mrs. Wadman at [email protected].
BATTLE OF THE BOOKS 2019 CHAMPIONS
The True Meaning of BOB Competition Team
(B. Crafts, K. Cutchins, L. Agathakis, M. Rottach, N. Viscount, P. Gray,
Coach G. Harrison)